Individual and family dental insurance plans
Good oral health is about more than healthy teeth — it can directly impact your overall health and wellness. That’s why AmeriHealth New Jersey offers several affordable dental plan options for adults and children that can be paired with our medical plans.¹
What is dental insurance?
AmeriHealth New Jersey dental plans provide coverage for various dental services that you would otherwise have to pay for on your own. All plans include preventive services like routine exams, cleanings, and X-rays. Most plans also include coverage for Basic & Major Services.
How does dental insurance work?
With an AmeriHealth New Jersey dental plan:
- You pay a monthly premium.
- You have the freedom to see any dentist in or out of network.
- You save the most on out-of-pocket costs by choosing an in-network dentist from the Advantage Plus 2.0 network.
- If you choose to use an out-of-network dentist, you may have to pay the difference between the amount the plan pays and the amount charged by the out-of-network dentist.
- There may be waiting periods and/or deductibles for certain services, like dentures and crowns.
- You never need a referral for specialist services.
What do dental insurance plans cover?
All AmeriHealth New Jersey dental plans encourage prevention and treatment of conditions before they become more costly issues. AmeriHealth New Jersey dental benefits may include coverage for:²
- Preventive services: Exams/evaluations, cleanings, and X-rays
- Basic services: Fillings, oral surgery, and root canals
- Major services: Crowns, inlays, and dentures
- Orthodontia: When medically necessary for children ages 0 – 18
Are dental plans worth it?
While it might be tempting to go without dental insurance, there are several reasons why it’s worth having.
Good oral health is good for your whole body
Your mouth is connected to almost every system in your body. That’s why dental health is such an important part of your overall wellness. In fact, your dentist can spot certain medical conditions just by looking in your mouth. Issues like diabetes, GERD, liver or kidney problems, and celiac disease all have oral symptoms.
Your coverage can uncover problems early
Dental exams and cleanings help to prevent cavities and gum disease from developing. But if you already have mild gum disease, your dentist can detect and treat it before it becomes periodontitis, which is irreversible. Routine exams also include oral cancer screenings, most of which are highly treatable when discovered early enough.
Some medical conditions benefit from diligent dental care3
If you have a chronic condition like diabetes, heart disease, rheumatoid arthritis, or if you’ve had a stroke, it’s especially important to keep your mouth healthy. Lack of proper dental care can lead to gum disease, which can make it harder to manage many serious chronic conditions. Research has suggested that gum disease:4
- May have a direct impact on various types of heart disease
- May lead to a higher risk of stroke
- May make it more difficult for diabetics to control their blood sugar, increasing the risk for complications
What do dental insurance plans in New Jersey cost?
AmeriHealth New Jersey offers affordable dental plan options that encourage prevention, early diagnosis, and treatment of conditions before they become costly issues.
Monthly rates per member
|Pediatric only5||Pediatric with Adult Preventive5||Family Plus Dental5|
|Ages 0 – 18||$26.05||$14.85||$20.80|
|19 – 25||N/A||$14.85||$20.80|
|26 – 39||N/A||$15.78||$22.10|
|40 – 49||N/A||$18.56||$26.00|
|50 – 63||N/A||$21.81||$30.55|
|64 and older||N/A||$22.27||$31.20|
How do I choose a dental plan?
It’s important to consider your dental care needs when choosing a plan. Different dental plans covered different services.
New Jersey residents can choose from three AmeriHealth New Jersey dental plans. All three options offer fully covered routine exams and allow you to see any dentist without a referral.
- If you just need to cover your child: AmeriHealth New Jersey offers dental coverage for children up to age 19 through our Pediatric Only dental plan.5
- If your whole family needs coverage: AmeriHealth New Jersey offers two options for adults and their dependent children — Pediatric with Adult Preventive and Family Plus Dental.
How do I sign up?
Adults ages 19 and older can enroll in an AmeriHealth New Jersey dental plan during the annual Open Enrollment Period or during a Special Enrollment Period if they experience a Qualifying Life Event.
When you’re ready to enroll, you can sign up through AmeriHealthNJ.com.
Questions? If you need any information or assistance with choosing or enrolling in a dental plan, call AmeriHealth New Jersey at 877-744-5422.
¹ AmeriHealth New Jersey dental plans are administered by United Concordia Companies, Inc.
² This summary is intended to highlight the benefits available to you. For a complete program description, including all benefits, limitations, and exclusions, please refer to the dental contract.
3 Value of Going to the Dentist. United Concordia Dental internal research. September 2017.
4 unitedconcordia.com/benefits/oral-health-resources/medical-conditions-oral-health/heart-disease. Accessed 3/25/2022.
5 Pediatric dental benefits only cover members up to age 19. If anyone in your family ages 19 and older needs dental coverage, be sure to purchase a family dental plan.